Friday, March 4, 2011

Musings


I am in the process of giving up coffee.

Yep. Had my first cup since Monday this morning. Between that and the sleep aids (which I gave up three weeks ago) I was getting to be a bit of a mess--jittery from drinking incredible amounts of coffee to wake me up from taking sleep aids that were turning me into an over-reactive, over-emotional, sobbing shell of a human being. I am drinking incredible amounts of water right now--we Coumadin Chicks have to keep well-hydrated--and so far it's helped.

The problem with Coumadin (sounds like a Mamet play about drunken angry hematologists) is that you have a laundry list of side effects, most of which exist in direct contradiction to each other, just like every other medication ever made (one would think there are a bunch of testers sitting around giggling over how crappy stuff can make us feel). Right now I am feeling the fatigue, and without caffeine to mask it it's making me feel like my body is just about to crumple into a little ball where I stand and I will plunge into a very long nap. Fine at home, not so great at the studio. My poor sister took a car door to the face last night and ended up with a half-inch cut on her browbone so I took over teaching her classes. Two-and-a-half hours of walking and talking and demonstrating and I couldn't breathe. Ugh. One of our moms said she'd make me signs that say "BE QUIET" that I can hold up when I get short of breath.

But the nice part is, Spring is about to spring and the weather is getting consistently not-sucky. Which means I can finally go for serious walks! When I was off the Coumadin before it was about twelve degrees outside and I had just been cut open so exercise was out of the question. Now, however, it is warm and I will work my ass off to get rid of this ridiculous belly bloat in the time that I'm off before my next d-dimer. Thanks for keeping me alive, Coumadin. But I'm not gonna miss you all that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment