Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Insomnia

Don't know if it's related to the meds or to post-embolism stress, but I seem to have developed an inability to get to sleep. Interesting.

Thank the gods for Discovery. I've found interesting shows, odd shows, shows that make me say "Ehnk?" and shows that make me clutch my metaphorical pearls. Right now I'm watching Mike Rowe on a chicken farm. He's such a regular Joe type, I can imagine he'd do the jobs even if there was no show because it's just so damned fun. More fainting goats, plzkthnx.

I love the hell out of Deadliest Catch, kind of want to snuggle it a little, but I just can't get through any of the current episodes. Knowing that someone as amazing as Captain Phil died is one thing . . . knowing I had the same thing happen to me, the same thing that eventually took his life . . . it's kind of mindblowing and more than a little intimidating. Freddie's speech ("Can't catch a dad every year") to Josh in the wheelhouse last week was absolutely shattering. Fahnz replayed it for me on the original broadcast, but it wasn't until After The Catch last night, seeing Freddie relive the conversation for Mike and the rest of the Captains, that it really hit me that Phil was gone, and I will admit I cried. I pray for the Harris boys, for Freddie and the rest of the Cornelia Marie crew, just like all of the other fans. Do you think they hear us?

Oh, and Jake Anderson? You are one tough human being. Stay strong.

Discovery has started running American Chopper, and I am tickled to bits about this. It's fascinating to see family businesses, the good and the bad. In the case of the Teutels, you also get the WTF? It wasn't that much of a surprise to hear the family was having trouble--seems like the rivalries and arguments were pushed and played up to an extremely unhealthy level in the later seasons. So why am I tickled about this show?

Because the bikes are pretty damned cool.

Right now Mike Rowe is playing with three-week old chicks. This would make quite a few of my female friends and some of my gay friends explode into little puffs of sparkly smoke. There's something about really manly men playing with cute baby animals that could quite possibly heal the world. Maybe that's what I should do for therapy! Yes, I think I'll go look at pictures of Fahnz holding Round Thing . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment